Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Michael Pollan's New Book is Out

I've been awaiting the release of Michael Pollan's next book (which, if you didn't know) is about psychedelics.

Below, find some links to learn more about How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence.

I especially recommend the lengthy podcast, by Tim Ferriss, below. First of all, I haven't read the book, but I've reviewed the reviews and listened to this linked podcast and Youtube talk. Pollan comes across as more analytical than I was expecting in his coverage of this topic - though he does describe a powerful loss of ego as he merges with cello music while under the influence, in one case. I was looking forward to reading this book, but my gut feeling is that it would fall short of my expectations, because I expected him to be coming from a more mystical place than he revealed himself to be. He's straddling academia with reality. He will be appearing here in Boulder soon to talk about the book, for an audience fee of $30pp.

I'm not a user, nor have I ever been, but I have watched documentaries and gone to talks and discussions about this important subject from some high level speakers, and as a decades long meditator, I'm aware that there are more avenues to get to where we need to go with our egos other than by psychedelic use.

A Strait-Laced Writer Explores Psychedelics, and Leaves the Door of Perception Ajar NYTs

Tim Ferriss Show podcast.

The book on Amazon. (released May 15, 2018)

An interesting presentation, below: