|Niccolo Cannicci ~ In Inverno Firmato|
This Tuesday news thread is a weekly feature here at Big Picture Agriculture.
- A Takedown of Allan Savory's Methods Which Aren't Science Based | Sierra Club k.m.: Remember Savory's famous TED talk filled with hope combatting desertification? I suppose this article is long overdue and I think the author did a good job writing it. Savory established a presence here in Boulder and I attended the first conference his institute held here a few years ago. It was impressive to hear him speak and show slides and to see ranch land caretakers from around the globe fly in to speak, but behind the scenes that day I visited with rangeland academics who quietly related to me that the science didn't support the methods he was touting.
- The assertion that we need to double global crop and animal production by 2050 is not supported by the data according to a study by Penn state. (It's less.) | Science Daily
- The Prairie, Glyphosate, and the Monarch | Sierra Club
- Food aid from warehouse to plate: fighting South Sudan’s famine – in pictures | The Guardian
- China's Massive Farming Potential Could Be Unlocked by Mortgages | Bloomberg
- Planting Decision No Brainer as U.S. Farms Swap Corn for Soy | Bloomberg
- Scientists remove reliance on seasonality in new lines of broccoli, potentially doubling crop production | Science Daily
- US braces for long battle over genetic patent rights | Phys.org
- Agricultural startup AppHarvest plans to build a $50 million high-tech greenhouse on 60 acres in Kentucky on a surface coal mine site repurposed for new industry. | HortiDaily
- Big Corn courts old foe Big Oil to combat electric car threat | Reuters
- Food insecurity and poverty pose major challenge to goal of ending hunger by 2030 in sub-Saharan Africa | FAO
- Humankind’s Ability to Feed Itself, Now in Jeopardy | IPS/FAO
- C&H Hog Farms CAFO threatens Buffalo River, the “Jewel of Arkansas” | Sierra Club
- New EU environmental standards for large poultry and pig farms | Phys.org
- Will Superweeds Choke GMO to a Timely Death in USA? | NEO
- Mississippi River Sees Grain Barge Glut | USAgNet
- Journalist, Marcia Zarley Taylor, Left Huge Mark on Agriculture | AgFax k.m.: Marcia's reporting and analysis was the best from my standpoint. In a tweet returned by Gregg Hillyer, he stated "Leaves a huge void for entire industry" and I agree.
- A Bee Mogul Confronts the Crisis in His Field | NYTs
- How Irish cattle farmers preserve a strange, ancient landscape | Treehugger
- Mulberry leaf extract could reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes | The Conversation
- Perfect Day Artificial Milk | Perfect Day k.m.: This is to milk like what lab grown meat is to beef.
THIS WEEK'S VIDEO:
How does cooking affect nutrients in veggies?
To view last week's LINKS, click here.
If you enjoyed these news links, please consider sharing this via Email or social media.