photo credit: Flickr by Йоана Петрова.
The MIND diet May Prevent Alzheimer's and other diseases, and is an easy diet to follow.
The developer of the MIND diet claims that it could reduce the risk of Alzheimer's by as much as 53 percent. It is a blend of the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet (which is for hypertension prevention).
It is thought that the MIND diet also helps protect against cardiovascular disease and is somewhat protective against cancer.
There are 15 components to the diet. Ten components are good, and five are bad.
The ten "Brain-Healthy" Daily Components to include:
- 3 servings whole grains
- green leafy vegetable
- plus one other vegetable (rainbow of colors of fruits and vegetables is ideal)
- glass of wine
- snack of nuts most days
- beans every other day
- berries at least twice a week (Particularly blueberries and strawberries)
- fish at least once a week
- poultry at least twice a week
- olive oil
- red meat
- butter and stick margarine (less than 1 tablespoon of butter per day)
- whole fat cheese
- pastries and sweets
- fried or fast food
Readers here know that I've been a long-time supporter and promoter of the Mediterranean Diet.
(The photo is of Niçoise salad.)