Sunday, November 6, 2011

Film Trailer: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time

Aldo Leopold conveyed to others his powerful land ethic.

"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect." ---Aldo Leopold

(13 minutes)
Learn more at

This movie explores the life of Aldo Leopold, author of Sand County Almanac:
Aldo Leopold (January 11, 1887 – April 21, 1948) was an American author, scientist ecologist, forester, and environmentalist. He was a professor at the University of Wisconsin and is best known for his book A Sand County Almanac (1949), which has sold over two million copies. He was influential in the development of modern environmental ethics and in the movement for wilderness conservation. His ethics of nature and wildlife preservation had a profound impact on the environmental movement, with his biocentric or holistic ethics regarding land. He emphasized biodiversity and ecology and was a founder of the science of wildlife management.... [from Wikipedia]

To order a copy of the DVD for this show go to the Aldo Leopold Foundation.


  1. Contact the Aldo Leopold Foundation to host a screening or purchase the DVD!

  2. Dear Kay,
    I would like to comment on many of your posts because I find many of them very helpful. However, I have to work…!

    Anyway, I can’t pass this one up…thanks for link…definitely have to get a copy of this film.

    I consider myself one of the luckiest people in Madison, WI. My house is at one end of the UW Arboretum and my work place is at the other. So, every morning and evening, I get to walk through and experience one legacy of Aldo Leopold.

    Thanks Mr. Leopold!

  3. I really consider myself a direct beneficiary of Leopold’s work. Here is link to a photo of Greene prairie I took one afternoon in the southern section of the UW arboretum. I frequently pass through it in my walk:

    Greene Prairie, Sunday afternoon, Summer

    Amazing to me that this beautiful prairie is almost right in the heart of Madison. Right on the other side of that hill is a very busy highway.

    I truly believe that green spaces like this help to make all of us richer. Just the benefit to air quality has to be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Or the benefit of water quality/water filtration that this patch of earth provides the surrounding city? It is disheartening to me, that economists don’t factor in the benefits that such spaces provide. How limited we are in our thinking and view of the world, sometimes!

    Sometimes, I walk through this prairie and think of what value are all the cars and ugly strips of black tar roads we cover the earth worth? Not much compared to the underlying ecosystems.

    Ok…thanks for letting me comment here, Kay, don’t mean to go off on a tirade!

  4. James,
    Amen. Amen. Amen.

    I too benefit from open space, as thats why where I live is considered one of the most desirable places in the country to live. Had people like Al Bartlett in the 1960's who lived here who had the foresight NOT to develop this beautiful land it would look just like everywhere else.

    Its not just the economists, although economics MUST change how it values growth. Its that developers and invested growth interests always have the upper hand because even at the local level people are on average too complacent to get involved in local politics (or too lazy).

    Did you read me back when I made this post?

    Rural Area Depopulation is in part Due to Lack of Surrounding Natural Beauty

    This year, at the Land Institute's annual Prairie Festival, Wes Jackson's son-in-law gave a fantastic talk on community involvement and how much he's helped by watch-dogging and getting involved in Iowa. It was about my favorite talk of the whole week-end because one can't over emphasize the importance of it.

    Just as we have lost control of our democracy at the federal level due to being about to "buy" congressmen or women, at least we can TRY at the local level!

    Thanks so much for this comment and your photo. (Looks like you have another guest post in you!)