Total energy consumption is falling in developed nations, but not so for the electricity sector as you can see in the above graph.
- From 2000 to 2009, increases in electricity demand averaged 0.5% per year.
- Demand growth is projected to continue at about 1% per year through 2035.
Coal is the largest source of electricity generation in the United States.
- 56% of home electrical use goes towards appliances and lighting
- 22% of home electrical use goes towards air conditioning
- 7% of home electrical use goes towards refrigeration
To find out more from the EIA's monthly electricity update go here.