Site Meter

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The U.S. Corn Crop Accounts for 65% of Nitrogen Use by Farmers

  • About 69 percent of U.S. cropland planted with major field crops (barley, corn, cotton, oats, peanuts, sorghum, soybeans, and wheat), or 167 million acres, receives commercial and/or manure nitrogen.
  • Corn accounts for 45 percent of U.S. crop acreage receiving manure and 65 percent of the 8.7 million tons of nitrogen applied by farmers each year.
  • Using data from USDA’s Agricultural Resources Management Survey (ARMS), ERS researchers determined the extent to which farms are meeting best management practices regarding the rate, timing, and method used for nitrogen applications. In 2006, only about 35 percent of crop acres receiving nitrogen met all three of the nitrogen management criteria, leaving 65 percent in need of improved management.
source

No comments:

Post a Comment