Here is some fruit and vegetable trivia for ya:
- Washington State apples dominate the U.S. fresh apple market.
- Florida oranges are mostly processed into juice, and California oranges are mostly sold to the fresh market.
- Raisin production and domestic consumption have declined. The U.S. industry exports almost half of the raisins it produces and faces export competition from Turkey, a low-cost supplier.
- Mechanical harvesting of grapes for raisins grew from 1 percent to 45 percent of production between 2000 and 2007.
- Strawberries are produced year round in California. Average annual production increased 81 percent from 1990-92 to 2005-07, and per capita consumption rose 75 percent over the same period.
- Asparagus growers face intense import competition. Fresh asparagus imports accounted for 76 percent of average annual domestic fresh consumption in 2005-07, and this share is likely to continue increasing. With increasing imports, U.S. average annual production (fresh and processed) decreased 46 percent between 1990-92 and 2005-07.
- Lettuce production is concentrated in California during the spring to fall seasons, with both California and Arizona supplying lettuce during the winter season.
source: Amber Waves