Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Late Season Boulder Farmers Market Visit

Last Saturday, November 6, 2010 was the third last Boulder Farmers Market for this season. Due to our perfect late season weather this year, it was extended a couple extra weeks.


It was a 78 degree windless and sunny day, but it seemed everyone chose this day to schedule their event.



My slate was full on this beautiful day with too many indoor activities and talks: the Bioneers Conference, the Boulder County Open Space's Third Public Forum for Sustainable Agriculture, the John Lennon art show, and about four other events I would have done if they hadn't overlapped with my prioritized ones.





As you scroll down my photos from last Saturday you will see apples, mushrooms, yarn, roasted chile peppers, leeks, beets, red peppers, squash, carrots, onions, garlic, baby potatoes, and pumpkins.



Oh, woe is me. Would that I were not a blogger and had time to knit with this soft, beautiful yarn! For everything there is a season....







I will pass on the carrots, leeks, onions, peppers and squash as we raised all of those in our home garden.





I added this next picture because I marvel at how often I see yoga mats on bicycles here.


Saving the best for last, here's my proud find of the day: celery from Abbondanza Farm, safely on the back of my bicycle. I made my purchase from the engaging Oliver, who revealed to me that he has an agricultural engineering degree from Germany. He said that Abbondanza starts their celery in a greenhouse in April to sell it now, in early and mid-November.

We discussed the fact that celery is often the most pesticide laden of store-bought produce, and he didn't understand why as it is quite pest-free when grown here in Colorado.

When I visited Abbondanza's website I am concerned to see that they have had a devastating wipe-out of much of their fall produce, both greens and fruits, and have called in experts to help them figure out the mysterious cause. "The loss continues to be financially and morally devastating to the farm". They cannot afford to refund CSA members. This story concerns me as Abbondanza has been one of our markets more popular booths for a number of years.