Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wes Jackson, Wendell Berry and Serendipity

Greetings from the Land Institute near Salina, Kansas. I am attending their 32nd Annual Prairie Festival. It was an awesome day of speakers. This time is my first trip to the Land Institute and guess who was the first person I met out of the 1,000 people here? Wes Jackson! He shook my hand right after I picked up my registration envelope. Serendipity. I knew I was where I was supposed to be.

So far I shook hands with Wes Jackson, got a hug from Fred Kirschenmann, and had my book autographed by Wendell Berry to "the corngoddess". I also got to meet Josh Farley, ecological economist from the University of Vermont and discuss a few things after his great talk. It was a good day in the life of an Ag blogger.

I forgot to bring my USB cable to load photos onto this old laptop, so expect to read more about this event next week, after a trip to visit my relatives in rural Nebraska.

After this event, I will no longer have to regret missing Woodstock!